DGFT clarification on Non-Ferrous Metal Import Monitoring System (NFMIMS)
Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) vide Policy Circular No. 42 /2015-2020 Dated 27" July, 2022 issued clarification on various representations from members of Trade & Industry for Non-Ferrous Metal Import Monitoring System (NFMIMS).
Subsequent to the issuance of DGFT Notification No.61/2015-2020 dated 31.03.2021 amending the import policy of items of copper (Annexure-I to DGFT Notification No.61/2015-2020) falling in Chapter-74 of ITC (HS) and items of Aluminum (Annexure-ll to DGFT Notification No.61/2015-2020) falling in Chapter-76 of ITC (HS) from Free’ to ‘Free subject to compulsory registration under Non-Ferrous Metal Import Monitoring System (NFMIMS) DGFT has received various representations from members of Trade & Industry seeking clarification on NFMIMS.
The issues were referred to M/o Mines and based upon the clarification received, responses thereto are given below:
- Whether imports through air mode are exempted from registration under NFMIMS?
- NFMIMS will not be applicable on air-freighted goods as this mode is used for emergency/small volume high value goods required at short notice.
- Whether multiple consignments against a NFMIMS registration can be imported within the validity period of NFMIMS Registration?
- Any number of consignments can be imported by a single NFMIMS registration within the validity of
- Whether it is compulsory to provide the proper Quality Control Order (QCO) description in NFMIMS or
Response: The information relating to proper QCO description can be treated as optional category in the description filed by importer under NFMIMS.
- Whether the Custom officers at the border are mandated to check QCO description in NFMIMS certificate while clearing the Bill of Entries or not?
- Since the QCO information is optional information therefore, it is not mandatory for the Custom officer to check QCO description under NFMIMS. However, custom officer has to consider the provisions/rules under the other laws of the land at the time of clearing the Bill of Entries.
- Whether NFMIMS is applicable to shipments under Advance Authorization, DFIA and SEZs?
- NFMIMS is applicable to imports through Advance Authorization, DFIA and import to SEZs.
This issues with the approval of the competent authority.